Makes: 4 servings
Total Time: 1 hr 50 minutes
Nutrition per Serving
327 calories / 5 g from fat / 63 g carbohydrates / 11 g protein / 9 mg sodium / 0 mg cholesterol / 13 g fiber
- 4 large, square red, yellow, or green bell peppers (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 fresh mango
- 1 jalapeño, minced, with seeds and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Wash peppers and cut off tops 1/4- to 1/2-inch down. Remove seeds; set tops aside. Put peppers in a baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Saute garlic and onion with dried red chilies until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, and brown rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into prepared peppers and put tops back on. Add 1/2 cup water to pan.
- Cover and bake at 375°F until peppers are soft, about 45 minutes to an hour. Serve with fiery mango salsa.
- Peel and chop mango, and place in a small bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.